Quantcast

Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Glen Mazza
Administrator
Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional info.  I noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the -Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse menu File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing the root directory of the CXF download.

As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects (i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's Maven plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it seems to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am I largely correct here?

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html

Re: Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Benson Margulies
I have no trouble with IDE builds, debugging, etc when I run our
existing procedure and importing the resulting projects into eclipse.

Some time ago I tried the maven plugin for Eclipse and got some pretty
sorry results (not with CXF). By all means document it as an
alternative, but not to replace.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Glen Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional info.  I
> noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the
> -Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse menu
> File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse
> IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing the
> root directory of the CXF download.
>
> As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects
> (i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that
> IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even
> available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's Maven
> plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it seems
> to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing
> out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am I
> largely correct here?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>
> [1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html

Re: Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Glen Mazza
Administrator
Oh no--I wasn't suggesting it as an alternative, but just to document it as a warning/advisement, and just wanted to make sure I was reasonably accurate in my assessment.

Thanks,
Glen

Benson Margulies-4 wrote

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional info.  I
> noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the
> -Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse menu
> File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse
> IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing the
> root directory of the CXF download.
>
> As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects
> (i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that
> IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even
> available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's Maven
> plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it seems
> to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing
> out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am I
> largely correct here?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>
> [1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html

Re: Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Benson Margulies
An interesting question is why you get such poor service from the
existing mechanism.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Glen Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh no--I wasn't suggesting it as an alternative, but just to document it as a
> warning/advisement, and just wanted to make sure I was reasonably accurate
> in my assessment.
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>

> Benson Margulies-4 wrote:
>>
>> I have no trouble with IDE builds, debugging, etc when I run our
>> existing procedure and importing the resulting projects into eclipse.
>>
>> Some time ago I tried the maven plugin for Eclipse and got some pretty
>> sorry results (not with CXF). By all means document it as an
>> alternative, but not to replace.
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Glen Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional
>>> info.  I
>>> noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the
>>> -Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse
>>> menu
>>> File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse
>>> IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing
>>> the
>>> root directory of the CXF download.
>>>
>>> As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects
>>> (i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that
>>> IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even
>>> available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's
>>> Maven
>>> plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it
>>> seems
>>> to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing
>>> out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am
>>> largely correct here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Glen
>>>
>>> [1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html

Re: Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

When you do the Import -> General -> Maven project when you have the m2eclipse
thing installed there are several disadvantages:

1) As you mentioned, things like PermGen and other flags in MAVEN_OPTS are
ignored.

2) m2eclipse actually runs "mvn", thus, the default profiles are used.   In
our case, that causes things like checkstyle and PMD to run whenever you
update anything.   I asked the m2eclipse team a few weeks ago for a place to
specify global profiles to activate (nochecks for us) to help that.  Without
that, it's REALLY slow.

3) Even though it runs checkstyle/pmd, it DOESN'T wire their configuration
into the eclipse builders/plugins.   Thus, you don't get the nice
checkstyle/pmd warnings while you edit code.

4) It also doesn't setup the warning levels and stuff that we kind of expect.
If you do the -Psetup.eclipse thing and import the projects, all of the CXF
projects should be completely warning free.   Very clean.   If you see a
warning, it's either something you did or something committed recently.

With 2.1.x/2.2, you really only need to run the -Psetup.eclipse thing once to
get the workspace setup and defaults in place.    After that, you can just
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse"    The setup.eclipse profile mostly just make sure
the checkstyle rules are installed into the workspace and sets the warning
levels and such.

Dan

http://dankulp.com/blog