Release CXF 3.4.0

Hi all,

We currently have no open issues for CXF 3.4.0:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&version=12344852

I think it's time to get this release out. Is there anything else anyone
wants to see in the release? One PR I'd like to see make it is Andrei's PR
to mask sensitive logging elements:

https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/681

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Andriy Redko
Hi Colm,

+1, with 3.4.x out we are going to stop supporting
3.2.x release, correct? Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

COh> Hi all,

COh> We currently have no open issues for CXF 3.4.0:

COh> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&version=12344852

COh> I think it's time to get this release out. Is there anything else anyone
COh> wants to see in the release? One PR I'd like to see make it is Andrei's PR
COh> to mask sensitive logging elements:

COh> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/681

COh> Colm.

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Dennis Kieselhorst
Hi,

what about SAAJ 1.5? https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/672

Best,
Dennis

On 14.07.2020 18:38, Andriy Redko wrote:

> Hi Colm,
>
> +1, with 3.4.x out we are going to stop supporting
> 3.2.x release, correct? Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
>     Andriy Redko
>
> COh> Hi all,
>
> COh> We currently have no open issues for CXF 3.4.0:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&version=12344852
>
> COh> I think it's time to get this release out. Is there anything else
> anyone
> COh> wants to see in the release? One PR I'd like to see make it is
> Andrei's PR
> COh> to mask sensitive logging elements:
>
> COh> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/681
>
> COh> Colm.

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Hi Andriy,

I already proposed that the recent vote for CXF 3.2.14 should be the last
release on this branch:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r5752b56936b5aec0b7bed5c0759f3554b49b1c077b4f8a31827a44a7%40%3Cdev.cxf.apache.org%3E

Colm.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Colm,
>
> +1, with 3.4.x out we are going to stop supporting
> 3.2.x release, correct? Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
>     Andriy Redko
>
> COh> Hi all,
>
> COh> We currently have no open issues for CXF 3.4.0:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&version=12344852
>
> COh> I think it's time to get this release out. Is there anything else
> anyone
> COh> wants to see in the release? One PR I'd like to see make it is
> Andrei's PR
> COh> to mask sensitive logging elements:
>
> COh> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/681
>
> COh> Colm.

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Andriy Redko
Got it, thanks!

COh> Hi Andriy,

COh> I already proposed that the recent vote for CXF 3.2.14 should be the last release on this branch:

COh> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r5752b56936b5aec0b7bed5c0759f3554b49b1c077b4f8a31827a44a7%40%3Cdev.cxf.apache.org%3E

COh> Colm.

COh> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

COh> Hi Colm,

COh>  +1, with 3.4.x out we are going to stop supporting
COh>  3.2.x release, correct? Thanks!

COh>  Best Regards,
COh>      Andriy Redko

 COh>> Hi all,

 COh>> We currently have no open issues for CXF 3.4.0:

 COh>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310511&version=12344852

 COh>> I think it's time to get this release out. Is there anything else anyone
 COh>> wants to see in the release? One PR I'd like to see make it is Andrei's PR
 COh>> to mask sensitive logging elements:

 COh>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/681

 COh>> Colm.

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

deki

just tried Spring Boot 2.3.x locally, works well. Any reasons why I should not commit the change for 3.4.0? See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-8301

Best,
Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Andriy Redko
Hi Dennis,

Haven't check your branch yet but if there is no changes (or changes are
compatible with 2.2.x) besides dependencies we should be good to go with
2.3.x. The CXF 3.5.0 would use 2.4.x release line in this case (due in
October). Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020, 4:45 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just tried Spring Boot 2.3.x locally, works well. Any reasons why I should
> not commit the change for 3.4.0? See also
>
> Best,
> Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

deki
Hi,

we are ready for a release now, aren't we?

Best,
Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Daniel  Kulp
Administrator
I do think we are.   I had one or two dependency updates I was attempting, but nothing that “needs” to be done.     However, I’m on vacation until the 17th with limited bandwidth.     If someone else wants to do the release, that’s fine.  Otherwise I can do it on the 17th.   Not a problem either way.

Thanks!
Dan

> On Aug 8, 2020, at 1:05 AM, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> we are ready for a release now, aren't we?
>
> Best,
> Dennis

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Dennis Kieselhorst
On 08.08.2020 15:11, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I do think we are.   I had one or two dependency updates I was
> attempting, but nothing that “needs” to be done.     However, I’m on
> vacation until the 17th with limited bandwidth.     If someone else
> wants to do the release, that’s fine.  Otherwise I can do it on the
> 17th.   Not a problem either way.

Looking at http://cxf.apache.org/release-management.html first step
would be maintaining the release_notes.txt, any new features to add to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/3.4+Migration+Guide?

lib/WHICH_JARS needs an update as well.

Best,
Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Andriy Redko
Made some changes, thanks Dennis.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

DK> On 08.08.2020 15:11, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> I do think we are.   I had one or two dependency updates I was
>> attempting, but nothing that “needs” to be done.     However, I’m on
>> vacation until the 17th with limited bandwidth.     If someone else
>> wants to do the release, that’s fine.  Otherwise I can do it on the
>> 17th.   Not a problem either way.

DK> Looking at http://cxf.apache.org/release-management.html first step
DK> would be maintaining the release_notes.txt, any new features to add to
DK> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/3.4+Migration+Guide?

DK> lib/WHICH_JARS needs an update as well.

DK> Best,
DK> Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Daniel  Kulp
I spent some time the last two days doing the dependency updates.   Things are looking good now.   If there are no objections, I’ll do the release build tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!
Dan

> On Aug 8, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do think we are.   I had one or two dependency updates I was attempting, but nothing that “needs” to be done.     However, I’m on vacation until the 17th with limited bandwidth.     If someone else wants to do the release, that’s fine.  Otherwise I can do it on the 17th.   Not a problem either way.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan
>

>> On Aug 8, 2020, at 1:05 AM, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are ready for a release now, aren't we?
>>
>> Best,
>> Dennis
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
> Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

deki
Hi Dan,

this compilation failure in samples seems to be related to your dependency update?!
jax_rs_tracing_brave: Compilation failure
[ERROR] cxf/distribution/src/main/release/samples/jax_rs/tracing_brave/src/main/java/demo/jaxrs/tracing/server/CatalogTracing.java:[77,39] cannot access brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator
[ERROR]   class file for brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator not found

Best,
Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Alexey Markevich-2
Hi Dennis,

I build the sample localy - no compilation errors; no internal API used [1]

1. https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/distribution/src/main/release/samples/jax_rs/tracing_brave/src/main/java/demo/jaxrs/tracing/server/CatalogTracing.java#L22-L25

On 8/18/20, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> this compilation failure in samples seems to be related to your dependency
> update?!
> jax_rs_tracing_brave: Compilation failure
> [ERROR]
> cxf/distribution/src/main/release/samples/jax_rs/tracing_brave/src/main/java/demo/jaxrs/tracing/server/CatalogTracing.java:[77,39]
> cannot access brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator
> [ERROR]   class file for
> brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator not found
>
> Best,
> Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Andriy Redko
Hi Dennis,

I also have troubles reproducing this compilation failure. However, I've noticed that
our samples are buildable only under JDK8. This is fixed now and all samples could be
properly build using JDK8 up to JDK16-ea. May be we should introduce Jenkins job for
samples? WDYT?

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

AM> Hi Dennis,

AM> I build the sample localy - no compilation errors; no internal API used [1]

AM> 1.
AM> https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/distribution/src/main/release/samples/jax_rs/tracing_brave/src/main/java/demo/jaxrs/tracing/server/CatalogTracing.java#L22-L25

AM> On 8/18/20, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,

>> this compilation failure in samples seems to be related to your dependency
>> update?!
>> jax_rs_tracing_brave: Compilation failure
>> [ERROR]
>> cxf/distribution/src/main/release/samples/jax_rs/tracing_brave/src/main/java/demo/jaxrs/tracing/server/CatalogTracing.java:[77,39]
>> cannot access brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator
>> [ERROR]   class file for
>> brave.internal.propagation.CorrelationFieldScopeDecorator not found

>> Best,
>> Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

deki
Apologies, maybe it was just too late yesterday evening. I was also seeing the CORBA errors, probably I partially used old versions.

Just did a fresh clean build with Andriy's fixes and everything was succesful.

Best,
Dennis

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

David Karlsen
Would it make sense to deprecate and finally remove the CORBA based stuff?
It's very much legacy.

ons. 19. aug. 2020 kl. 09:48 skrev Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]>:

> Apologies, maybe it was just too late yesterday evening. I was also seeing
> the CORBA errors, probably I partially used old versions.
>
> Just did a fresh clean build with Andriy's fixes and everything was
> succesful.
>
> Best,
> Dennis

David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Re: Release CXF 3.4.0

Daniel  Kulp

As normal, doing the first release build on a new branch hits a few snags….     release:prepare failed, javadoc issues, etc….

Anyway, I THINK I have everything worked out now, but it’s too late today.  Thus, I’ll do the builds tomorrow.    Please keep testing and such!

Thanks!
Dan