Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

markt
Apologies for the noise.

The correct link for [3] is:

https://jakarta.ee/legal/trademark_guidelines/

I've also corrected a handful of the project BCCs.

Mark

On 18/01/2019 22:53, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing to your dev@ lists (on BCC) as your project has, in the
> past, requested access to the Java EE TCKs while they were controlled by
> Sun and then Oracle.
>
> As I am sure you are aware, Java EE has moved to Eclipse and is now
> Jakarta EE. The good news is that the TCKs have been open sourced.
>
> https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck
>
> (I haven't tried to build the latest TCK from source yet but it is on my
> TODO list.)
>
> Shipping compatible implementations of the Jakarta EE specs (and being
> able to make public statements to that effect) will be subject only to
> the spec [1] and TCK [2] licenses. There will no longer be a TCK
> agreement or NDA to sign. However...
>
> The question has arisen whether or not any ASF projects will want to use
> the Jakarta EE compatible logo [3]. If a project wants to be able to do
> this, there are some organisational hoops to jump through. Before the
> ASF starts down that path the board has asked me to see if there are any
> projects that want to use the Jakarta EE compatible logo. After all,
> there is no point jumping through the hoops if no-one wants to use the logo.
>
> With the above in mind can you please discuss this amongst your project
> community and reply back to [hidden email] whether or not your
> project is interested in being able to use the Jakarta EE compatible
> logo. I ask that you complete this no later than the next board meeting
> (20th February 2019).
>
> If you have any questions about any of the above, please also use
> [hidden email] to ask them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> [1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/efsl.php
> [2] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php
> [3] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

deki
Hi,

I think we should definitely setup jobs to ensure the TCKs pass but do we really need the logo?! What do you think?

Cheers
Dennis

On 2019/01/21 10:46:37, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies for the noise.
>
> The correct link for [3] is:
>
> https://jakarta.ee/legal/trademark_guidelines/
>
> I've also corrected a handful of the project BCCs.
>
> Mark
>

> On 18/01/2019 22:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am writing to your dev@ lists (on BCC) as your project has, in the
> > past, requested access to the Java EE TCKs while they were controlled by
> > Sun and then Oracle.
> >
> > As I am sure you are aware, Java EE has moved to Eclipse and is now
> > Jakarta EE. The good news is that the TCKs have been open sourced.
> >
> > https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck
> >
> > (I haven't tried to build the latest TCK from source yet but it is on my
> > TODO list.)
> >
> > Shipping compatible implementations of the Jakarta EE specs (and being
> > able to make public statements to that effect) will be subject only to
> > the spec [1] and TCK [2] licenses. There will no longer be a TCK
> > agreement or NDA to sign. However...
> >
> > The question has arisen whether or not any ASF projects will want to use
> > the Jakarta EE compatible logo [3]. If a project wants to be able to do
> > this, there are some organisational hoops to jump through. Before the
> > ASF starts down that path the board has asked me to see if there are any
> > projects that want to use the Jakarta EE compatible logo. After all,
> > there is no point jumping through the hoops if no-one wants to use the logo.
> >
> > With the above in mind can you please discuss this amongst your project
> > community and reply back to [hidden email] whether or not your
> > project is interested in being able to use the Jakarta EE compatible
> > logo. I ask that you complete this no later than the next board meeting
> > (20th February 2019).
> >
> > If you have any questions about any of the above, please also use
> > [hidden email] to ask them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > [1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/efsl.php
> > [2] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php
> > [3] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Jeff Genender-2
Do we really need it?  no.

Is it good for marketing? yes.

I would tend to +1 getting the logo.  I know during the big Sun JavaEE days, that logo was a big deal to have.

Jeff

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think we should definitely setup jobs to ensure the TCKs pass but do we really need the logo?! What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Dennis
>
> On 2019/01/21 10:46:37, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Apologies for the noise.
>>
>> The correct link for [3] is:
>>
>> https://jakarta.ee/legal/trademark_guidelines/
>>
>> I've also corrected a handful of the project BCCs.
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On 18/01/2019 22:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am writing to your dev@ lists (on BCC) as your project has, in the
>>> past, requested access to the Java EE TCKs while they were controlled by
>>> Sun and then Oracle.
>>>
>>> As I am sure you are aware, Java EE has moved to Eclipse and is now
>>> Jakarta EE. The good news is that the TCKs have been open sourced.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck
>>>
>>> (I haven't tried to build the latest TCK from source yet but it is on my
>>> TODO list.)
>>>
>>> Shipping compatible implementations of the Jakarta EE specs (and being
>>> able to make public statements to that effect) will be subject only to
>>> the spec [1] and TCK [2] licenses. There will no longer be a TCK
>>> agreement or NDA to sign. However...
>>>
>>> The question has arisen whether or not any ASF projects will want to use
>>> the Jakarta EE compatible logo [3]. If a project wants to be able to do
>>> this, there are some organisational hoops to jump through. Before the
>>> ASF starts down that path the board has asked me to see if there are any
>>> projects that want to use the Jakarta EE compatible logo. After all,
>>> there is no point jumping through the hoops if no-one wants to use the logo.
>>>
>>> With the above in mind can you please discuss this amongst your project
>>> community and reply back to [hidden email] whether or not your
>>> project is interested in being able to use the Jakarta EE compatible
>>> logo. I ask that you complete this no later than the next board meeting
>>> (20th February 2019).
>>>
>>> If you have any questions about any of the above, please also use
>>> [hidden email] to ask them.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>>> [1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/efsl.php
>>> [2] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php
>>> [3] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Is anyone interested in taking this on?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Andriy Redko
Hey Colm,

I could take it.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

COh> Is anyone interested in taking this on?

COh> Colm.

COh> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 7:01 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Ping.

>> Just a gentle reminder as I haven't seen any emails to jcp-open@ as yet.

>> Mark

>> PS If you don't want to build from source, there are nightly TCK builds
>> available here:
>> https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/jakartaee-tck/8.0.1/nightly/

>> On 21/01/2019 10:46, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> > Apologies for the noise.
>> >
>> > The correct link for [3] is:
>> >
>> > https://jakarta.ee/legal/trademark_guidelines/
>> >
>> > I've also corrected a handful of the project BCCs.
>> >
>> > Mark

>> logo.

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

jim ma
It's a good thing CXF get TCK tests passed. If the logo is not a
complicated thing to request, it's better to have.
Do we only need to pass standalone JAXWS and JAXRS TCK instead of EE TCK ?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 7:29 AM Colm O hEigeartaigh <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is anyone interested in taking this on?
>
> Colm.
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 7:01 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ping.
> >
> > Just a gentle reminder as I haven't seen any emails to jcp-open@ as yet.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > PS If you don't want to build from source, there are nightly TCK builds
> > available here:
> > https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/jakartaee-tck/8.0.1/nightly/
> >

> > On 21/01/2019 10:46, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > > Apologies for the noise.
> > >
> > > The correct link for [3] is:
> > >
> > > https://jakarta.ee/legal/trademark_guidelines/
> > >
> > > I've also corrected a handful of the project BCCs.
> > >
> > > Mark

> by

> my

> use
> do
> any
> > logo.

> project
> meeting

> --
> Colm O hEigeartaigh
>
> Talend Community Coder
> http://coders.talend.com

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Daniel  Kulp
Administrator
Consider CXF itself doesn’t even have a real logo, I’m not sure what we’d even do with the compatibility logos.  :)

Anyway, it’s kind of a “nice to have if they become available, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them”, IMO.

Dan

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
Talend Community Coder - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Andriy Redko
Hey guys,

Finally, after quite some time, we do have an automated Jenkins job [1] to run
Jakarta RESTful Web Services 2.1 TCK against Apache CXF (literally, any version/PR
but 2.1 compatibility means 3.3.x and above). How does it work (at this moment):

1) This is parametrized build, needs only CXF version (3.3.4, 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT, or
any custom version available as an artifact in Apache repository). The pipeline does not
build CXF itself (although it could in general, it would take longer). So if you
commit some fixes, please make sure the snapshots/version are published before re-running
the TCK.

2) The job checks out JakartaEE TCK, builds the JAX-RS TCK only tailored for CXF
(JAX-RS impl classes, etc). We could skip this step when / if official TCKs are
published and become available later on.

3) The job runs all JAX-RS TCK tests against Glassfish 5.1.0 release

4) The reports are available as an artifacts [2] (along with JAX-RS TCK distribution)

5) The pipeline (Jenkins) and parameters are committed to master [3], please feel free to
check and improve it or suggest what you think make sense

6) The complete run takes around ~2h to complete

7) Current state [4]:

   Tests that passed: 2584
   Tests that failed: 77
   Tests that had errors: 2
   Total: 2663

Some of the fixes are already in PRs state (like SSE fe [5]), others we would need to tackle along the
way, luckily we could track the progress now :-) And we are not that far from getting Jakarta EE TCKs
compatibility logo :)))

Thanks!

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/
[2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/
[3] https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/master/tck
[4] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/JTreport/html/report.html
[5] https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/621

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

DK> Consider CXF itself doesn’t even have a real logo, I’m not sure what we’d even do with the compatibility logos.  :)

DK> Anyway, it’s kind of a “nice to have if they become available, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them”, IMO.

DK> Dan

>> On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:20 PM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It's a good thing CXF get TCK tests passed. If the logo is not a
>> complicated thing to request, it's better to have.
>> Do we only need to pass standalone JAXWS and JAXRS TCK instead of EE TCK ?

>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 7:29 AM Colm O hEigeartaigh <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Is anyone interested in taking this on?

>>> Colm.

>>> by

>>> my

>>> use
>>> do
>>> any

>>> project
>>> meeting

>>> --
>>> Colm O hEigeartaigh

>>> Talend Community Coder
>>> http://coders.talend.com

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Hi Andriy,

That's fantastic work! Could you capture that information in a wiki?

Colm.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:31 AM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> DK> Anyway, it’s kind of a “nice to have if they become available, but I
> wouldn’t go out of my way to get them”, IMO.
>
> DK> Dan
>

> >> On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:20 PM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> It's a good thing CXF get TCK tests passed. If the logo is not a
> >> complicated thing to request, it's better to have.
> >> Do we only need to pass standalone JAXWS and JAXRS TCK instead of EE
> TCK ?
>
> >> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 7:29 AM Colm O hEigeartaigh <
> [hidden email]>

> yet.

> builds

> the
> controlled

> on

> being

> the
> the

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Thanks a lot! Sure, I will do that shortly!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

COh> Hi Andriy,

COh> That's fantastic work! Could you capture that information in a wiki?

COh> Colm.

COh> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:31 AM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

COh> Hey guys,

COh>  Finally, after quite some time, we do have an automated Jenkins job [1] to run
COh>  Jakarta RESTful Web Services 2.1 TCK against Apache CXF (literally, any version/PR
COh>  but 2.1 compatibility means 3.3.x and above). How does it work (at this moment):

COh>  1) This is parametrized build, needs only CXF version (3.3.4, 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT, or
COh>  any custom version available as an artifact in Apache repository). The pipeline does not
COh>  build CXF itself (although it could in general, it would take longer). So if you
COh>  commit some fixes, please make sure the snapshots/version are published before re-running
COh>  the TCK.

COh>  2) The job checks out JakartaEE TCK, builds the JAX-RS TCK only tailored for CXF
COh>  (JAX-RS impl classes, etc). We could skip this step when / if official TCKs are
COh>  published and become available later on.

COh>  3) The job runs all JAX-RS TCK tests against Glassfish 5.1.0 release

COh>  4) The reports are available as an artifacts [2] (along with JAX-RS TCK distribution)

COh>  5) The pipeline (Jenkins) and parameters are committed to master [3], please feel free to
COh>  check and improve it or suggest what you think make sense

COh>  6) The complete run takes around ~2h to complete

COh>  7) Current state [4]:

COh>     Tests that passed: 2584
COh>     Tests that failed: 77
COh>     Tests that had errors: 2
COh>     Total: 2663

COh>  Some of the fixes are already in PRs state (like SSE fe [5]), others we would need to tackle along the
COh>  way, luckily we could track the progress now :-) And we are not that far from getting Jakarta EE TCKs
COh>  compatibility logo :)))

COh>  Thanks!

COh>  [1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/
COh>  [2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/
COh>  [3] https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/master/tck
COh>  [4] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/JTreport/html/report.html
COh>  [5] https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/621

COh>  Best Regards,
COh>      Andriy Redko

 DK>> Consider CXF itself doesn’t even have a real logo, I’m not sure what we’d even do with the compatibility logos.  :)

 DK>> Anyway, it’s kind of a “nice to have if they become available, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them”, IMO.

 DK>> Dan

 >>> On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:20 PM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:

 >>> It's a good thing CXF get TCK tests passed. If the logo is not a
 >>> complicated thing to request, it's better to have.
 >>> Do we only need to pass standalone JAXWS and JAXRS TCK instead of EE TCK ?

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Andriy Redko
Done, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/JakartaEE+TCKs, please feel
free to check/edit/comment! Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

COh> Hi Andriy,

COh> That's fantastic work! Could you capture that information in a wiki?

COh> Colm.

COh> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:31 AM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

COh> Hey guys,

COh>  Finally, after quite some time, we do have an automated Jenkins job [1] to run
COh>  Jakarta RESTful Web Services 2.1 TCK against Apache CXF (literally, any version/PR
COh>  but 2.1 compatibility means 3.3.x and above). How does it work (at this moment):

COh>  1) This is parametrized build, needs only CXF version (3.3.4, 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT, or
COh>  any custom version available as an artifact in Apache repository). The pipeline does not
COh>  build CXF itself (although it could in general, it would take longer). So if you
COh>  commit some fixes, please make sure the snapshots/version are published before re-running
COh>  the TCK.

COh>  2) The job checks out JakartaEE TCK, builds the JAX-RS TCK only tailored for CXF
COh>  (JAX-RS impl classes, etc). We could skip this step when / if official TCKs are
COh>  published and become available later on.

COh>  3) The job runs all JAX-RS TCK tests against Glassfish 5.1.0 release

COh>  4) The reports are available as an artifacts [2] (along with JAX-RS TCK distribution)

COh>  5) The pipeline (Jenkins) and parameters are committed to master [3], please feel free to
COh>  check and improve it or suggest what you think make sense

COh>  6) The complete run takes around ~2h to complete

COh>  7) Current state [4]:

COh>     Tests that passed: 2584
COh>     Tests that failed: 77
COh>     Tests that had errors: 2
COh>     Total: 2663

COh>  Some of the fixes are already in PRs state (like SSE fe [5]), others we would need to tackle along the
COh>  way, luckily we could track the progress now :-) And we are not that far from getting Jakarta EE TCKs
COh>  compatibility logo :)))

COh>  Thanks!

COh>  [1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/
COh>  [2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/
COh>  [3] https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/master/tck
COh>  [4] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/65/artifact/JTreport/html/report.html
COh>  [5] https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/621

COh>  Best Regards,
COh>      Andriy Redko

 DK>> Consider CXF itself doesn’t even have a real logo, I’m not sure what we’d even do with the compatibility logos.  :)

 DK>> Anyway, it’s kind of a “nice to have if they become available, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them”, IMO.

 DK>> Dan

 >>> On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:20 PM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:

 >>> It's a good thing CXF get TCK tests passed. If the logo is not a
 >>> complicated thing to request, it's better to have.
 >>> Do we only need to pass standalone JAXWS and JAXRS TCK instead of EE TCK ?

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Dennis Kieselhorst
Hi Andriy!
> Done, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/JakartaEE+TCKs, please feel
> free to check/edit/comment! Thanks!

Great work. I wonder if a Jenkins run with failed TCK tests can be
marked as unstable (yellow) while a failed run (no test execution
possible) is marked as error (red)?

Best,

Dennis

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Andriy Redko
Hi Dennis,

Yeah, I think we can do that, the TCK build looks pretty reliable but yeah,
we may mark it unstable if only tests fail, thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020, 5:30 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andriy!
> > Done,
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/JakartaEE+TCKs,
> please feel
> > free to check/edit/comment! Thanks!
>
> Great work. I wonder if a Jenkins run with failed TCK tests can be
> marked as unstable (yellow) while a failed run (no test execution
> possible) is marked as error (red)?
>
> Best,
>
> Dennis

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Andriy Redko
Hey guys,

Finally found the time to make this change, the pipeline now marks TCK runs as unstable
if some tests are failing [1]. In case someone wants to look on the pipeline itself, it
is part of the repository [2]. Thanks!

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20CXF/job/CXF-JAXRS-TCK/
[2] https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/master/tck

Best Regards,