New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

deki
Hi,

please note that there are new Maven coordinates for the Jakarta EE specs: https://wiki.eclipse.org/New_Maven_Coordinates

In my view we should change the dependencies for our 3.3.0 release. I already did it for JAX-RS.

Cheers
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

deki
Hi,

please note that not all dependencies are available on central yet but only in a staging repo. JAXB and JAX-WS dependencies are planned to be release in December. This page provides an overview: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_GlassFish_5.1_Components_Release_Tracker

Regards
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

deki
Hi,

the JAXB, JAX-WS, SAAJ and some more API dependencies are now available on central.

Servlet-API is still missing, but I noticed that we are currently using 3.1.0 anyway. Do we plan to update to 4.0.2?

Regards
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

coheigea
Administrator
Can you update JAX-WS + SAAJ when the JAXB switch is done and working? Do
you know when they plan to release 4.0.2?

Colm.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 6:08 PM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the JAXB, JAX-WS, SAAJ and some more API dependencies are now available on
> central.
>
> Servlet-API is still missing, but I noticed that we are currently using
> 3.1.0 anyway. Do we plan to update to 4.0.2?
>
> Regards
> Dennis
>


--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Dennis Kieselhorst

> Can you update JAX-WS + SAAJ when the JAXB switch is done and working?
Yes. The question is when do we update the other stuff (Activation,
Annotation, CDI, EL, Mail, Validation, JSON, ...)? I'd like to have it
clean for 3.3.0 but it's kind of transitive dependency hell.
> Do
> you know when they plan to release 4.0.2?
>
Just discussed on the list with Mark Thomas:
https://www.eclipse.org/lists/servlet-dev/msg00069.html

So probably this will take some more days...

Regards
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

coheigea
Administrator
I'm a bit concerned that we we delay indefinitely, when we need to get a
release out that supports Java 11. Perhaps CXF 3.3.0 should just contain
the JAXB upgrade and let CXF 3.4.0 pick up all of the newer dependencies?

Colm.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > Can you update JAX-WS + SAAJ when the JAXB switch is done and working?
> Yes. The question is when do we update the other stuff (Activation,
> Annotation, CDI, EL, Mail, Validation, JSON, ...)? I'd like to have it
> clean for 3.3.0 but it's kind of transitive dependency hell.
> > Do
> > you know when they plan to release 4.0.2?
> >
> Just discussed on the list with Mark Thomas:
> https://www.eclipse.org/lists/servlet-dev/msg00069.html
>
> So probably this will take some more days...
>
> Regards
> Dennis
>


--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Andriy Redko
It would be great to get CXF out soon enough, since more and more projects switch
to Java 11. From practical standpoint, releasing CXF 3.3.0 with JAXB deps would
make a lot of sense (in my opinion), since every other project around did exactly
that. However, we've already started moving to Jakarta EE artifacts. Should it be
reverted (to "old" ones)? Or should we wait for Jakarta EE to publish others?
Releasing CXF with the mix of both is not looking good I think. Thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

COh> I'm a bit concerned that we we delay indefinitely, when we need to get a
COh> release out that supports Java 11. Perhaps CXF 3.3.0 should just contain
COh> the JAXB upgrade and let CXF 3.4.0 pick up all of the newer dependencies?

COh> Colm.

COh> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:


>> > Can you update JAX-WS + SAAJ when the JAXB switch is done and working?
>> Yes. The question is when do we update the other stuff (Activation,
>> Annotation, CDI, EL, Mail, Validation, JSON, ...)? I'd like to have it
>> clean for 3.3.0 but it's kind of transitive dependency hell.
>> > Do
>> > you know when they plan to release 4.0.2?
>> >
>> Just discussed on the list with Mark Thomas:
>> https://www.eclipse.org/lists/servlet-dev/msg00069.html

>> So probably this will take some more days...

>> Regards
>> Dennis




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Dennis Kieselhorst

> It would be great to get CXF out soon enough, since more and more projects switch
> to Java 11. From practical standpoint, releasing CXF 3.3.0 with JAXB deps would
> make a lot of sense (in my opinion), since every other project around did exactly
> that. However, we've already started moving to Jakarta EE artifacts. Should it be
> reverted (to "old" ones)? Or should we wait for Jakarta EE to publish others?
> Releasing CXF with the mix of both is not looking good I think. Thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
>     Andriy Redko
>
> COh> I'm a bit concerned that we we delay indefinitely, when we need to get a
> COh> release out that supports Java 11. Perhaps CXF 3.3.0 should just contain
> COh> the JAXB upgrade and let CXF 3.4.0 pick up all of the newer dependencies?
>
Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
be done for 3.4.0.

I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
another delay.

Regards
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Andrei Ivanov
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > It would be great to get CXF out soon enough, since more and more
> projects switch
> > to Java 11. From practical standpoint, releasing CXF 3.3.0 with JAXB
> deps would
> > make a lot of sense (in my opinion), since every other project around
> did exactly
> > that. However, we've already started moving to Jakarta EE artifacts.
> Should it be
> > reverted (to "old" ones)? Or should we wait for Jakarta EE to publish
> others?
> > Releasing CXF with the mix of both is not looking good I think. Thoughts?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >     Andriy Redko
> >
> > COh> I'm a bit concerned that we we delay indefinitely, when we need to
> get a
> > COh> release out that supports Java 11. Perhaps CXF 3.3.0 should just
> contain
> > COh> the JAXB upgrade and let CXF 3.4.0 pick up all of the newer
> dependencies?
> >
> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
> be done for 3.4.0.
>
> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
> another delay.
>
> Regards
> Dennis
>

For me, as a CXF user, the easiest way would be to get the old artifacts,
as I expect other frameworks
that I already have in the project would still use the existing Maven
coordinates and then I will have a mix of old and new coordinates until all
of them upgrade.

Regards,
Andrei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

coheigea
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dennis Kieselhorst
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:59 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> wrote:


> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
> be done for 3.4.0.
>

+1, assuming the JAX-WS upgrade is seamless. JAX-RS is already done right?
Then let's use a single version of JAXB for both JDK8 + 11.


> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
> another delay.
>

Yep let's tentatively target a vote at the end of next week?

Colm.


>
> Regards
> Dennis
>


--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Dennis Kieselhorst

>
>> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
>> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
>> be done for 3.4.0.
>>
> +1, assuming the JAX-WS upgrade is seamless. JAX-RS is already done right?
> Then let's use a single version of JAXB for both JDK8 + 11.

Well relatively seamless. Can anyone support solving the OSGi issues?
I've created branch
https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/CXF-7910_jakarta_jaxws-api for it.

>> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
>> another delay.
>>
> Yep let's tentatively target a vote at the end of next week?

+1

Cheers
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Dennis Kieselhorst
In reply to this post by Andrei Ivanov

> For me, as a CXF user, the easiest way would be to get the old artifacts,
> as I expect other frameworks
> that I already have in the project would still use the existing Maven
> coordinates and then I will have a mix of old and new coordinates until all
> of them upgrade.

Hi Andrei,

I understand your concerns. I don't like the renaming too as there is no
benefit and this causes lots of effort. But at some point in time every
framework will pick up the new coordinates and you have to deal with it.
If you want to keep the old ones, you can just add an exclusion or stick
to CXF 3.2.x.

Regards
Dennis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Romain Manni-Bucau
I guess jakarta will "relocate" ([1]) the jars so frameworks will start
getting warnings and fix it so sounds like a move forward anyway.

Side note: we got the same issue with geronimo spec jars for years and it
never had been a real issue in practise so not a big deal IMHO.

[1] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
<https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>


Le jeu. 10 janv. 2019 à 16:54, Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>
> > For me, as a CXF user, the easiest way would be to get the old artifacts,
> > as I expect other frameworks
> > that I already have in the project would still use the existing Maven
> > coordinates and then I will have a mix of old and new coordinates until
> all
> > of them upgrade.
>
> Hi Andrei,
>
> I understand your concerns. I don't like the renaming too as there is no
> benefit and this causes lots of effort. But at some point in time every
> framework will pick up the new coordinates and you have to deal with it.
> If you want to keep the old ones, you can just add an exclusion or stick
> to CXF 3.2.x.
>
> Regards
> Dennis
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Andriy Redko
In reply to this post by Dennis Kieselhorst
Hi Dennis,

I will take a look tonight if no one does it before me. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019, 10:51 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email] wrote:

>
> >
> >> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
> >> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
> >> be done for 3.4.0.
> >>
> > +1, assuming the JAX-WS upgrade is seamless. JAX-RS is already done
> right?
> > Then let's use a single version of JAXB for both JDK8 + 11.
>
> Well relatively seamless. Can anyone support solving the OSGi issues?
> I've created branch
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/CXF-7910_jakarta_jaxws-api for it.
>
> >> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
> >> another delay.
> >>
> > Yep let's tentatively target a vote at the end of next week?
>
> +1
>
> Cheers
> Dennis
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Maven coordinates for Jakarta EE specs

Freeman-2
I will also take a look at the OSGi issues if not done yet.
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.





> On Jan 11, 2019, at 2:59 AM, Andrey Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I will take a look tonight if no one does it before me. Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
>    Andriy Redko
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019, 10:51 AM Dennis Kieselhorst <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>>
>>>
>>>> Let's focus on JAX-WS and JAX-RS (along with JAXB) for 3.3.0 as those
>>>> are the main implementations that we are offering. Everything else can
>>>> be done for 3.4.0.
>>>>
>>> +1, assuming the JAX-WS upgrade is seamless. JAX-RS is already done
>> right?
>>> Then let's use a single version of JAXB for both JDK8 + 11.
>>
>> Well relatively seamless. Can anyone support solving the OSGi issues?
>> I've created branch
>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/CXF-7910_jakarta_jaxws-api for it.
>>
>>>> I also agree that we should release soon (maybe next week?) and avoid
>>>> another delay.
>>>>
>>> Yep let's tentatively target a vote at the end of next week?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dennis
>>