Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Hi Devs,
  I am presently using CXF 2.7.8.  I need to migrate to 3.x version to be
able to work on Java11.  However, I see that there is a drastic change from
2.x to 3.x in CXF.  One such commit is
https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60.
In this commit, I can here
https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114,
that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the http async conduit
factory.  Whats the alternative for it in cxf 3.x?  I am not able to find
any reference so far.  Please advise and guide me here to complete the java
11 migration.

Thanks,
<http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
Syed Mudassir Ahmed
LMTS-2
o:  +91 40 64535352
m: +91 9177674397
w: www.gaiansolutions.com

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Daniel  Kulp
Administrator

>  I am presently using CXF 2.7.8.  I need to migrate to 3.x version to be
> able to work on Java11.  However, I see that there is a drastic change from
> 2.x to 3.x in CXF.  One such commit is
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60.
> In this commit, I can here
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114,
> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the http async conduit
> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in cxf 3.x?  I am not able to find
> any reference so far.  Please advise and guide me here to complete the java
> 11 migration.

With the recent HTTPAsyncClient stuff using fluent style builders, most of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method is called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass the AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method to modify the builder in ways that you need prior to CXF calling the build() and then start methods.   Not really 100% sure on that, but that’s likely how it would need to be done.

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>
Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com/>

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Thanks so much Dan K.   I am done with creating a custom
AsyncHTTPConduitFactory.
Where/what can I configure to get my factory picked up?

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I am presently using CXF 2.7.8.  I need to migrate to 3.x version to be
> able to work on Java11.  However, I see that there is a drastic change from
> 2.x to 3.x in CXF.  One such commit is
>
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60
> .
> In this commit, I can here
>
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114
> ,
> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the http async conduit
> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in cxf 3.x?  I am not able to find
> any reference so far.  Please advise and guide me here to complete the java
> 11 migration.
>

> With the recent HTTPAsyncClient stuff using fluent style builders, most of
> the objects are more or less immutable after the build method is called.
> Thus, you would likely need to subclass the AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and
> override the
>  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
> to modify the builder in ways that you need prior to CXF calling the
> build() and then start methods.   Not really 100% sure on that, but that’s
> likely how it would need to be done.
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog
> Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com>

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Hi Dan Kulp,
  I am not able to figure out how to configure the custom
AsyncHTTPConduitFactory I have created.  Can you please me instructions on
how to get that done?  Any reference?
Thanks,
<http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
Syed Mudassir Ahmed
LMTS-2
o:  +91 40 64535352
m: +91 9177674397
w: www.gaiansolutions.com

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks so much Dan K.   I am done with creating a custom
> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory.
> Where/what can I configure to get my factory picked up?
>
> Thanks,
> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
> LMTS-2
> o:  +91 40 64535352
> m: +91 9177674397
> w: www.gaiansolutions.com
>

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  I am presently using CXF 2.7.8.  I need to migrate to 3.x version to be
>> able to work on Java11.  However, I see that there is a drastic change
>> from
>> 2.x to 3.x in CXF.  One such commit is
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60
>> .
>> In this commit, I can here
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114
>> ,
>> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the http async
>> conduit
>> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in cxf 3.x?  I am not able to find
>> any reference so far.  Please advise and guide me here to complete the
>> java
>> 11 migration.
>>

>> With the recent HTTPAsyncClient stuff using fluent style builders, most
>> of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method is
>> called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass
>> the AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the
>>  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
>> to modify the builder in ways that you need prior to CXF calling the
>> build() and then start methods.   Not really 100% sure on that, but that’s
>> likely how it would need to be done.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Kulp
>> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog
>> Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com>

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Dan,
  I am really blocked and not able to find a way to move forward.  I
created my custom AsynHTTPConduitFactory, but not able to figure out what
and where to configure to make this custom factory picked-up by CXF.
Please do help me.
Thanks,
<http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
Syed Mudassir Ahmed
LMTS-2
o:  +91 40 64535352
m: +91 9177674397
w: www.gaiansolutions.com

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan Kulp,
>   I am not able to figure out how to configure the custom
> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory I have created.  Can you please me instructions on
> how to get that done?  Any reference?
> Thanks,
> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
> LMTS-2
> o:  +91 40 64535352
> m: +91 9177674397
> w: www.gaiansolutions.com
>

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks so much Dan K.   I am done with creating a custom
>> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory.
>> Where/what can I configure to get my factory picked up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
>> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
>> LMTS-2
>> o:  +91 40 64535352
>> m: +91 9177674397
>> w: www.gaiansolutions.com
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>  I am presently using CXF 2.7.8.  I need to migrate to 3.x version to be
>>> able to work on Java11.  However, I see that there is a drastic change
>>> from
>>> 2.x to 3.x in CXF.  One such commit is
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60
>>> .
>>> In this commit, I can here
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114
>>> ,
>>> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the http async
>>> conduit
>>> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in cxf 3.x?  I am not able to find
>>> any reference so far.  Please advise and guide me here to complete the
>>> java
>>> 11 migration.
>>>

>>> With the recent HTTPAsyncClient stuff using fluent style builders, most
>>> of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method is
>>> called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass
>>> the AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the
>>>  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
>>> to modify the builder in ways that you need prior to CXF calling the
>>> build() and then start methods.   Not really 100% sure on that, but that’s
>>> likely how it would need to be done.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daniel Kulp
>>> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog
>>> Talend - http://talend.com <http://coders.talend.com>

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Is it possible if CXF team can regain us the access to httpProcessor in the
newer versions of CXF?  It was revoked in this commit,
https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234L132.
Can we regain it in next version?

Thanks,
<http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
Syed Mudassir Ahmed
LMTS-2
o:  +91 40 64535352
m: +91 9177674397
w: www.gaiansolutions.com

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan,
>   I am really blocked and not able to find a way to move forward.  I
> created my custom AsynHTTPConduitFactory, but not able to figure out what
> and where to configure to make this custom factory picked-up by CXF.
> Please do help me.
> Thanks,
> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
> LMTS-2
> o:  +91 40 64535352
> m: +91 9177674397
> w: www.gaiansolutions.com
>

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan Kulp,
>>   I am not able to figure out how to configure the custom
>> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory I have created.  Can you please me instructions on
>> how to get that done?  Any reference?
>> Thanks,
>> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
>> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
>> LMTS-2
>> o:  +91 40 64535352
>> m: +91 9177674397
>> w: www.gaiansolutions.com
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks so much Dan K.   I am done with creating a custom
>>> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory.
>>> Where/what can I configure to get my factory picked up?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
>>> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
>>> LMTS-2
>>> o:  +91 40 64535352
>>> m: +91 9177674397
>>> w: www.gaiansolutions.com

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Andriy Redko
Hi Syed,

Will try to help you here, so referring to Dan's comment,

  > With the recent HTTPAsyncClient stuff using fluent style builders, most
  > of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method is
  > called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass
  > the AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the
  >  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
  > to modify the builder in ways that you need prior to CXF calling the
  > build() and then start methods.   Not really 100% sure on that, but that’s
  > likely how it would need to be done.

The HttpAsyncClientBuilder has setHttpProcessor method which you can access
and configure up to your needs. Now, it seems like you have troubles to configure
your own AsynHTTPConduitFactory, this could be done in a few ways, but probably
the simplest one is using Bus extensions (described in META-INF/cxf/bus-extensions.txt).
So in your applcation, you could add META-INF/cxf/bus-extensions.txt with sample content
(assuming MyAsyncHTTPConduitFactory is **your** AsyncHTTPConduitFactory):

org.apache.cxf.transport.http.asyncclient.MyAsyncHTTPConduitFactory:org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduitFactory:true:true

You can find examples there [1], hopefully it helps.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cxf/blob/master/core/src/main/resources/META-INF/cxf/bus-extensions.txt

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 4:51:33 AM, you wrote:

SMA> Is it possible if CXF team can regain us the access to httpProcessor in the
SMA> newer versions of CXF?  It was revoked in this commit,
SMA> https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234L132.
SMA> Can we regain it in next version?

SMA> Thanks,
SMA> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
SMA> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
SMA> LMTS-2
SMA> o:  +91 40 64535352
SMA> m: +91 9177674397
SMA> w: www.gaiansolutions.com

SMA> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
SMA> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> Dan,
>>   I am really blocked and not able to find a way to move forward.  I
>> created my custom AsynHTTPConduitFactory, but not able to figure out what
>> and where to configure to make this custom factory picked-up by CXF.
>> Please do help me.
>> Thanks,
>> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
>> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
>> LMTS-2
>> o:  +91 40 64535352
>> m: +91 9177674397
>> w: www.gaiansolutions.com

>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi Dan Kulp,
>>>   I am not able to figure out how to configure the custom
>>> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory I have created.  Can you please me instructions on
>>> how to get that done?  Any reference?
>>> Thanks,
>>> <http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
>>> Syed Mudassir Ahmed
>>> LMTS-2
>>> o:  +91 40 64535352
>>> m: +91 9177674397
>>> w: www.gaiansolutions.com

Re: Migration from CXF 2.7.18 to 3.x

Syed Mudassir Ahmed
Andriy,
  I could finally get this done.  There are two ways basically.
  One is as you said bus.setExtension() is working out.
  The other way is to add an interceptor before sending, where the conduit
object would be created using my custom factory.
  The only mistake I made was in the custom factory, I had to add all the
following interceptors in addition to my custom interceptors in the
HttpProcessor object.
    - org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestDefaultHeaders
    - org.apache.http.protocol.RequestContent
    - org.apache.http.protocol.RequestTargetHost
    - org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestClientConnControl
    - org.apache.http.protocol.RequestUserAgent
    - org.apache.http.protocol.RequestExpectContinue(false));
    - org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestAuthCache
    - org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestTargetAuthentication
    - org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestProxyAuthentication

I am all set now. Thnx.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 8:07 AM Andriy Redko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> <https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114>

> *>>>>> , >>>>> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the
> http async >>>>> conduit >>>>> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in
> cxf 3.x?  I am not able to >>>>> find >>>>> any reference so far.  Please
> advise and guide me here to complete the >>>>> java >>>>> 11 migration.
> most >>>>> of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method
> is >>>>> called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass >>>>> the
> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the >>>>>
>  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
> that’s >>>>> likely how it would need to be done. >>>>> -- >>>>> Daniel
> Kulp *>>>>> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>* - *

However, I would still say, the client code should be given access to the
HttpProcessor object like in 2.7.18 version of CXF.
Thanks,
<http://www.gaiansolutions.com/>
Syed Mudassir Ahmed
LMTS-2
o:  +91 40 64535352
m: +91 9177674397
w: www.gaiansolutions.com

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:03 PM Syed Mudassir Ahmed <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> <https://github.com/apache/cxf/commit/a18be4fac03d3886317b0201123e9917d1a33e60#diff-f5349d24a3d1a3bced2aa168ce24d586461fe743d2e0b72f0fafcfedb9a99234R114>

>> *>>>>> , >>>>> that there is no0 longer a http processor present in the
>> http async >>>>> conduit >>>>> factory.  Whats the alternative for it in
>> cxf 3.x?  I am not able to >>>>> find >>>>> any reference so far.  Please
>> advise and guide me here to complete the >>>>> java >>>>> 11 migration.
>> most >>>>> of the objects are more or less immutable after the build method
>> is >>>>> called.  Thus, you would likely need to subclass >>>>> the
>> AsyncHTTPConduitFactory and override the >>>>>
>>  adaptClientBuilder(HttpAsyncClientBuilder httpAsyncClientBuilder) method
>> that’s >>>>> likely how it would need to be done. >>>>> -- >>>>> Daniel
>> Kulp *>>>>> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>* - *

Great to hear you are all set. Regarding HttpProcessor, the HttpClient library changes
so does the CXF, fe BasicHttpProcessor was deprecated long ago in favor of ImmutableHttpProcessor.
If you think that providing some way to specify HttpProcessor would be really useful, could
you please open a ticket [1] for CXF with your use case(s), the team will certainly look
at it. Thank you.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko