Quantcast

Local "Fallback" Support?

James Carman
Is there a way to provide an object that implements the JAX-RS service
interface that I'm using to generate a proxy to CXF and say "if you get an
exception when calling the remote service, talk to this bean instead"?

Re: Local "Fallback" Support?

Sergey Beryozkin
Administrator
Hi James

What is available is ResponseExceptionMapper which can be registered as
JAX-RS provider and it will convert the exceptions to some custom responses.

JAX-RS 2.0 ClientResponseFilter can also be registered with the proxy.

Perhaps something else can be improved for proxies, can you explain what
exactly you'd like to achieve with such a fallback support ?

Sergey
On 10/05/17 18:34, James Carman wrote:
> Is there a way to provide an object that implements the JAX-RS service
> interface that I'm using to generate a proxy to CXF and say "if you get an
> exception when calling the remote service, talk to this bean instead"?

Re: Local "Fallback" Support?

James Carman
The use case is to allow for a local implementation (with canned responses
perhaps) to answer if a remote system is down. The more I think about it, I
don't know if I like this being a "magic" thing, but more of a regular old
pattern. I'm going to tinker a bit. Thanks for following up.
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:11 AM Sergey Beryozkin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi James
>
> What is available is ResponseExceptionMapper which can be registered as
> JAX-RS provider and it will convert the exceptions to some custom
>
> JAX-RS 2.0 ClientResponseFilter can also be registered with the proxy.
>
> Perhaps something else can be improved for proxies, can you explain what
> exactly you'd like to achieve with such a fallback support ?
>
> Sergey
> On 10/05/17 18:34, James Carman wrote:
> > Is there a way to provide an object that implements the JAX-RS service
> > interface that I'm using to generate a proxy to CXF and say "if you get
> an
> > exception when calling the remote service, talk to this bean instead"?

Re: Local "Fallback" Support?

Sergey Beryozkin
Administrator
WriterInterceptor registered on the client side can set a custom
entity...ClientResponseFiler - a custom entity stream...

Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Re: Local "Fallback" Support?

James Carman
I'm thinking this is less of a "JAX-RS thing" and more of an "object
thing", meaning the pattern is more general.