Having multiple versions of CXF deployed in the same OSGi container

Having multiple versions of CXF deployed in the same OSGi container

M. D.
Hello group,

This would be a rather general and abstract question so I won't mind getting a rather general answer as well :)

We are trying to move from CXF 1.6.9 to the latest 3.1.11 release.
We are running on an OSGi platform.
Our plan is to have both CXF versions (and all of their dependencies) deployed in parallel.

We know that quite some many of the CXF dependencies are utilizing heavily the java ServiceLoader infrastructure.
So in a way, even if OSGi would be able to strictly isolate the two parallel versions, in theory it seems possible that we'd run into trouble because of the service loader.

So my question is, has anyone tried to run 1.6.x and 3.x.x versions in parallel in the same OSGi container?

What kinds of problems should we expect?
Any guidelines that you could recommend?

Anything would be helpful actually :)

Thank you!

Best regards,
M.D

Re: Having multiple versions of CXF deployed in the same OSGi container

Daniel  Kulp
Administrator

I can almost guarantee that having two versions of CXF deployed into the same OSGi container won’t work.  The loading of the Bus extensions from the various bundles does not currently take into account the CXF version they are tied to.

Dan