Quantcast

CXF / Metro / Axis2

johngalt
I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
users of different java web services frameworks.
Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2

I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and REST, Java and .NET WCF
So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to determine which is the best
for my environment.

Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.

CXF - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
        - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for WCF/Java interoperability

Axis2 - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use wsdl behind the scenes even for REST?)

Metro - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
                   - REST support if I include Jersey

So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many wsdl services I think
will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.

Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:

Cheers

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

Dennis Sosnoski
Hi John,

WSIT is just Sun/Oracle's implementation of WS-Security and related
standards. The WSIT developers did focus on interoperability with .NET,
but I think CXF's implementation is just as interoperable -
interoperability should properly be based on correct implementation of
standards, rather than on testing with one other particular
implementation, and CXF has worked hard in this area.

So I don't think the .NET interoperability should really be a concern
for you in choosing between the two stacks.

   - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java SOA and Web Services Consulting <http://www.sosnoski.com/consult.html>
CXF and Web Services Security Training
<http://www.sosnoski.com/training.html>
Web Services Jump-Start <http://www.sosnoski.com/jumpstart.html>

On 07/07/2012 06:17 AM, johngalt wrote:

> I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
> users of different java web services frameworks.
> Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2
>
> I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and REST,
> Java and .NET WCF
> So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to
> determine which is the best
> for my environment.
>
> Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.
>
> CXF - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
> - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for WCF/Java
> interoperability
>
> Axis2 - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use wsdl behind
> the scenes even for REST?)
>
> Metro - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
>   - REST support if I include Jersey
>
> So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many wsdl
> services I think
> will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.
>
> Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:
>
> Cheers

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

Ron Wheeler
Much less technically informed opinion follows:

We have both CXF and Axis running in our LMS portal.
Circa 2008, we got Axis with a SCORM engine that was based on an Open
Source project that was adapted for us by an outside organization
according to our specifications.
Afterwards in 2009, when we were moving our architecture to web
services, we looked at Axis and CXF .
We went with CXF since it appeared to be a more modern/newer project
that hid a lot of the plumbing from view and appeared to be a lot less
coding.
We did not know about Metro so I can not comment on that.

We found CXF to be very robust, trouble-free and not very hard for
everyone to incorporate into either client or service modules.
It did not interfere with our use of Axis as a client for the legacy
services.

I think that in terms of CXF supporting the types of interactions that
you want, you can probably count on the documentation. If is says
"supported" it will be supported. If in doubt, I would ask a specific
single question in the forum.
"Does anyone have any comments about support for "xxx".
You might also search the archives. If there are technical issues, you
will likely find lots of discussions. This forum is very active and does
provide a lot of support. Anything that is defective or does not work as
advertised will generate a big e-mail trail.

I think that we are using CXF for both Java-first and contract-first
development.

I hope that this CTO view helps.

Ron

On 06/07/2012 9:40 PM, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> WSIT is just Sun/Oracle's implementation of WS-Security and related
> standards. The WSIT developers did focus on interoperability with
> .NET, but I think CXF's implementation is just as interoperable -
> interoperability should properly be based on correct implementation of
> standards, rather than on testing with one other particular
> implementation, and CXF has worked hard in this area.
>
> So I don't think the .NET interoperability should really be a concern
> for you in choosing between the two stacks.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> Java SOA and Web Services Consulting
> <http://www.sosnoski.com/consult.html>
> CXF and Web Services Security Training
> <http://www.sosnoski.com/training.html>
> Web Services Jump-Start <http://www.sosnoski.com/jumpstart.html>
>

> On 07/07/2012 06:17 AM, johngalt wrote:
>> I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
>> users of different java web services frameworks.
>> Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2
>>
>> I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and
>> REST,
>> Java and .NET WCF
>> So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to
>> determine which is the best
>> for my environment.
>>
>> Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.
>>
>> CXF     - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
>>     - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for
>> WCF/Java
>> interoperability
>>
>> Axis2     - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use
>> wsdl behind
>> the scenes even for REST?)
>>
>> Metro    - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
>>            - REST support if I include Jersey
>>
>> So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many
>> wsdl
>> services I think
>> will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.
>>
>> Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: [hidden email]
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

Sergey Beryozkin
Just you CXF and get your projects done
Sergey
On 06/07/12 19:17, johngalt wrote:

> I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
> users of different java web services frameworks.
> Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2
>
> I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and REST,
> Java and .NET WCF
> So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to
> determine which is the best
> for my environment.
>
> Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.
>
> CXF - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
> - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for WCF/Java
> interoperability
>
> Axis2 - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use wsdl behind
> the scenes even for REST?)
>
> Metro - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
>   - REST support if I include Jersey
>
> So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many wsdl
> services I think
> will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.
>
> Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:
>
> Cheers

Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

David Karlsen
I would rather pay attention to being WS-I compliant rather than WSIT,
although their goals may be the same - but WS-I is implementation
neutral:
http://www.oasis-ws-i.org/

As long as you design your contracts correctly they should be interopable.

We have clients using a wide range of WS-stacks, windows, unix etc.

2012/7/6 johngalt <[hidden email]>:

> I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
> users of different java web services frameworks.
> Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2
>
> I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and REST,
> Java and .NET WCF
> So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to
> determine which is the best
> for my environment.
>
> Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.
>
> CXF     - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
>         - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for WCF/Java
> interoperability
>
> Axis2   - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use wsdl behind
> the scenes even for REST?)
>
> Metro   - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
>                    - REST support if I include Jersey
>
> So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many wsdl
> services I think
> will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.
>
> Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:
>
> Cheers

David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

Daniel  Kulp
On Friday, July 06, 2012 11:17:59 AM johngalt wrote:

> I was looking for a bit of information from experienced
> users of different java web services frameworks.
> Specifically: CXF, Metro, axis2
>
> I have an new environment with many different web services: WSDL and REST,
> Java and .NET WCF
> So I've been trying to go through the specfics of each framework to
> determine which is the best
> for my environment.
>
> Here is what I've found, based on a few hours of googling.
>
> CXF - PROS - WSDL and REST  (implements both JAX-WS and JAX-RS)
> - CONS - Doesn't support WSIT for the WSDL side of things, for WCF/Java
> interoperability

As Dennis stated, WSIT is just Sun/Oracle's imlementation of WS-Security and
the relates specs.  (Security Policy, Trust, etc...).   At this point, CXF's
implementaions is actually ahead of WSIT in many aspects (there are things
like SPNEGO that we now support) and is also more interoperable in others.
Talend has invested a LOT of time and effort into testing CXF's
implementation with several different providers, including WSIT, and have
logged several bugs that we found with WSIT.

Dan

> Axis2 - CONS - REST support for only GET and POST (seems to use wsdl
> behind the scenes even for REST?)
>
> Metro - PROS - WSIT support on the wsdl side
>   - REST support if I include Jersey
>
> So it seems like CXF or Metro is a good choice, depending on how many wsdl
> services I think
> will be Java/WCF or WCF/Java.
>
> Any input, opinions, past experiences, corrections, etc, appreciated:
>
> Cheers

Re: CXF / Metro / Axis2

Johan Edstrom-2
There isn't anything that says you cannot mix and re-use, if you are looking for the biggest active hammer that adapts to the most deployments, I think Cxf is it.

We can cover most of ws-I as well as much of ws-*, osgi, spring, jboss kernels, tomcats, jetty's and whatnot else.

Not to mention being fast and standards compliant.